As the VP of HR, my days are typically filled with tasks that stretch well beyond the standard workday. Yet, as the holiday season approaches, I find myself juggling an even more complex schedule. Between my role as VP of our local softball board, shuttling my kids to various activities, and creating holiday magic at home, I’ve fine-tuned several strategies to maintain balance during this festive, albeit hectic, season.
1. Rise with the Sun: Starting the day early is more than a productivity hack; it’s a commitment to myself. I’ve found that by waking up early, not only do I fit in my workout, but I also witness the serene beauty of the sunrise. This quiet, powerful moment sets a tone of possibility and peace for the day ahead. It’s a gentle reminder of fresh beginnings amidst chaos. So, rise early, embrace the day’s potential, and carry that energy forward.
2. Make Movement Mandatory: In Chicago’s brisk winters, I’m committed to exercising five times a week. Even simple acts, such as walking my kids to school, count. It’s about movement, regardless of the form it takes, to combat the stress of the season.
3. Intentional Work Focus: When it’s time to work, give it your all. Distractions are plentiful, but setting boundaries is key. Remember, concentrated work hours mean you can truly enjoy your time off without the nagging guilt or a looming to-do list.
4. A Season of Giving: Philanthropy has always been a part of my life, a value instilled in me since childhood. I am proud that PRESENCE supports this sentiment by offering a paid Volunteer Day. Our HR team is contributing time to a local food bank this season. Additionally, my family and I cherish the tradition of shopping for individuals sponsored by PRESENCE through Marklund, helping fulfill their holiday wishes.
5. Magic in the Mundane: I added twin baby Elves-on-the-shelf to hide each morning (a decision my future self might regret). But it’s these small traditions that create lasting memories for my family that are important to me. The sparkle in my kids’ eyes is worth every ounce of effort.
6. Supplement Your Health: To counteract the shorter days, I take supplements, a small but significant habit for maintaining my health during the winter months.
7. Embrace Celebration and Solitude: I revel in festive gatherings yet also value quiet moments for self-reflection and relaxation. Whether it’s a massage or a quiet evening with a book and glass of wine, find moments to decompress and reflect amidst the celebrations.
8. Cherishing Time Off: the whirlwind of end-of-year deadlines and festive preparations, it’s vital to remember the importance of taking a genuine break. At PRESENCE, we’re fortunate to have Holiday Bonus time—a company-wide pause that allows us to be fully present with our loved ones. I cherish this period as an opportunity to refill my cup, rejuvenate, and connect with family and friends. Taking time off inspire us to enter the new year with renewed energy and enthusiasm.
9. Wind Down Rituals: Finally, establish a wind-down routine. Transitioning from high-energy festivities to peaceful evenings helps in reclaiming your calm and ensures a restful night’s sleep.
This season, I encourage you to find your own rhythm amidst the chaos. By setting intentional practices, you can enjoy the holidays without compromising on your professional responsibilities or personal health. Here’s to finding balance, and may we all step into the new year feeling content and invigorated. Happy Holidays!
This post was written by our Vice President of Human Resources, Christina Moses. If you are interested in learning more about Christina, please click here to see her bio!